Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My abscence.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jesterface

Jesterface

My abscence. Empty
PostSubject: My abscence.   My abscence. EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 7:12 pm

Not meaning to rub it in like, but I was at Download 9th-14th of this very month.

I can sum it up in two words: Epic.

I realise that epic is only one word, but don't question this.

I'm not going to stroke the egos of AC/DC, Rage or Tylersmith (Aerosmith's name if Mr. Steve had his way no doubt) and say they were the best acts all weekend. Because they weren't. Sure they were the headliners and put on good shows, but let's face it, it's the lesser acts you go to see. You see the headliners just to say 'I saw them' (excepting Slipknot in 2009, as they were pure awesome).

This festival (celebrating 30 years since the creation of the Donington Monster of Rock festival), wasn't about 30 years since they first did it or about AC/DC doing another tour. No. It was all about the people who couldn't be there. I'm sure you know some of the names, but out of true respect for each and every one of these guys: Ronnie James Dio, Maurice Jones (Funded MoR in 1980 and supported it for years after), Dennis Hopper (actor), Paul Grey (Slipknot bassist), Pete Steele (Type O Negative lead singer), James 'The Rev' Sullivan (Avenged Sevenfold drummer), Mike Alexander (Evile bassist).

Know them or not, these guys all deserved the respect they got in the moment's applause that weekend, and our eternal appreciation.

I thank Paul Isola of Breed 77 for making this point. A special mention goes to Corey Taylor (Slipknot and StoneSour) for making a space in StoneSour's set for doing a moving and truly heartfelt performance of 'Bother' for his late friend. Look it up on Youtube, it's powerful stuff, moves me to tears, even through computer screens and speakers.

Other than that: epic weekend of camping, booze, music and mayhem with mate.
Back to top Go down
shadowbeam

shadowbeam

My abscence. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My abscence.   My abscence. EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 8:51 am

Glad you had a good time!
I hate festivals with a passion, so i'm not very jealous haha!
But download is the mother of all festivals imo, so woot for you!
Back to top Go down
Jesterface

Jesterface

My abscence. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My abscence.   My abscence. EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 9:39 am

Cheers.

I personally love festival atmosphere (well, Download at least, Leeds seemed quite threatening when I went).

At least I love it until drunk middle-aged guys try starting shit with your mates because they telling them that pushing the crowd forwards would be bad as there is a barrier in front of them....

That and the rain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My abscence. Empty
PostSubject: Re: My abscence.   My abscence. Empty

Back to top Go down

My abscence.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: