Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Books i.e. Discuss

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
shadowbeam

shadowbeam

Books i.e. Discuss Empty
PostSubject: Books i.e. Discuss   Books i.e. Discuss EmptyWed May 19, 2010 2:55 pm

Hai ^^
Read any good books lately?

I'm reading Chronicals of Ancient Darkness atm by Michelle Paver, sounds cheesy, but it's really good and originals. It's about all these tribes who live in different areas and have different 'clan creatures' (e.g. wolves) and a whole belief system around the world and nature. All about this boy who has abilities and these people that are after him because they want to steal the abilities. Yeah i suck at explaining, but it's REALLY good.[justify]
Back to top Go down
Applecore
Admin
Applecore

Books i.e. Discuss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books i.e. Discuss   Books i.e. Discuss EmptyWed May 19, 2010 3:01 pm

Oooh, that sounds like something I would like

I'm finally on the last book of Stephen King's Dark Tower. It has been epic, going to be so sad to say goodbye to all the characters, been reading it for about a year and a half off and on! It's kind of a western meets supernatural adventure, if you enjoy fantasy then you should def check it out
Back to top Go down
http://tdsprojects.blogspot.com
shadowbeam

shadowbeam

Books i.e. Discuss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books i.e. Discuss   Books i.e. Discuss EmptyWed May 19, 2010 3:06 pm

Oooo i'll look into it Smile

You can borrow the first book of the series im readin if you like Smile
Back to top Go down
Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Books i.e. Discuss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books i.e. Discuss   Books i.e. Discuss EmptyMon May 24, 2010 10:00 am

just (finally) finished reading Perdido Street Station by China Mieville - a truly epic narrative, that's left me wanting to read Iron Council, if i ever get the energy up to read it, and also The Court of the Air and its sequals by Stephen Hunt - a deliciously steampunk series of books that really work as both a way into the genre, and as an original piece of fantasy.

Lastly, not long finished Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding - think Firefly, but with less morals and more steam
Back to top Go down
http://spiritwalker1985.deviantart.com/
Jeff the Ninja Fox

Jeff the Ninja Fox

Books i.e. Discuss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books i.e. Discuss   Books i.e. Discuss EmptyMon May 24, 2010 10:04 am

I've read all of the books in Chronicles of Ancient Darkness i love them, i want Wolf!!! ^_^

The Darwath Trilogy by Barbara Hambly its been the best fantasy trilogy i have ever read!!! it gave me the inspiration to write ^^
Back to top Go down
Applecore
Admin
Applecore

Books i.e. Discuss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books i.e. Discuss   Books i.e. Discuss EmptyThu May 27, 2010 3:24 pm

As the Dark Tower is ridiculously huge and impractical to take anywhere with me I have also started reading Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde in an attempt to make a dent in my shelf full of unread Classics
Back to top Go down
Jesterface

Jesterface

Books i.e. Discuss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books i.e. Discuss   Books i.e. Discuss EmptyThu May 27, 2010 3:49 pm

I just did my Negotiated Project for my course, where we essentially set ourselves a brief relating to something we'd love to do in industry, on Frankenstein. I have yet to read the book properly in the nearly 4 years since I was given it as a present. I love the ideas in it, but find the writing a bit dense at times, a problem I have with a lot of older books (including 1984 and Day of the Triffids, which is shameful).

I've mentioned this in a few other threads, but I'll do it again. Magic the Gathering: Ravnica Cycle by Cory J. Herndon. A trilogy of three books (Ravnica, Guildpact and Dissension), set in the world of Ravnica. 10,000 years ago, 10 individuals, who were 'leaders' of 10 factions, split into opposition of order vs. chaos, came together and signed an agreement, the Guildpact, which has brought about an age of peace to the world that has lasted 10,000 years. The Guildpact defined the functions these factions were to take in society as a whole, and dictated that they are never to interfere within the business of the other guilds. There are no records of the event of the Guildpact, but legends and rumours persist of the 10th Guild, who don't actually exist, mostly as folk legends, urban myths and stories to scare children.
Ravnica, the name of the world and the main city that occupies a majority of it's surface, is building up to celebrating the Decamillenial, as the normal annual celebration of the Guildpact is replaced by this special event. However, all is not peaceful, as veteran officer of the League Wojek, Agrus Kos, is thrown into a web of intrigue following an assassination attempt on a prominent religious figure, and something is clearly rotten in the Undercity, as old gods and monsters begin to stir...

This book series, while cheaply produced, is well-written, with a highly Pratchettian humourous edge and moments of deliberate cliché. The ending of Dissension is a little disappointing, but it's worth reading the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
Applecore
Admin
Applecore

Books i.e. Discuss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books i.e. Discuss   Books i.e. Discuss EmptyThu May 27, 2010 3:52 pm

Jesterface wrote:
I love the ideas in it, but find the writing a bit dense at times

Haha that's a really good way of putting it. I managed to read Crime and Punishment a couple of years ago. It was really hard work but worth it
Back to top Go down
Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Books i.e. Discuss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books i.e. Discuss   Books i.e. Discuss EmptyFri May 28, 2010 2:16 am

just had to put down a book called children of chaos, because it was actually too complex to follow. The story is about a war between the asgardian and Greek pantheons, told from the perspective of a load of the children of said gods, who have been kidnapped and made to believe they are human. As they rediscover their powers, though, the characters have a tendency to describe them using 5th dimentional mathmatical theory and complex philosophy.

I felt like bill bailey reading a brief history of Time - i needed to sit down and eat a pringle sandwhich
Back to top Go down
http://spiritwalker1985.deviantart.com/
shadowbeam

shadowbeam

Books i.e. Discuss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books i.e. Discuss   Books i.e. Discuss EmptyMon May 31, 2010 11:36 am

Just got a new book, 'The Last Vampire', anyone read this series?
Iv'e never heard of it but I read the back and it looked pretty funky
Back to top Go down
Jeff the Ninja Fox

Jeff the Ninja Fox

Books i.e. Discuss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books i.e. Discuss   Books i.e. Discuss EmptyMon May 31, 2010 3:09 pm

I've heard that the last vampire series is decent but i'm a bit sick of vampire-mania at the moment, ermm if you haven't already read it the House of Night saga is a really decent vampire series... its different than traditional stories but not in a sparkly twilight way.
Back to top Go down
shadowbeam

shadowbeam

Books i.e. Discuss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books i.e. Discuss   Books i.e. Discuss EmptyMon May 31, 2010 3:22 pm

Ah yeah I have all those, pretty damn good series, except for the last two really....apart from one storyline....but that would be a spoiler lol
Back to top Go down
Jeff the Ninja Fox

Jeff the Ninja Fox

Books i.e. Discuss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books i.e. Discuss   Books i.e. Discuss EmptyMon May 31, 2010 3:23 pm

haha don't worry about spoiling me, i finished burned a week ago... mind you i don't know if anyone else is reading them... i really liked burned it was quite different than the previous ones. But i find her style of writing drags on a bit at times
Back to top Go down
shadowbeam

shadowbeam

Books i.e. Discuss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books i.e. Discuss   Books i.e. Discuss EmptyMon May 31, 2010 3:25 pm

Yeah nothing really seemed to happen much in the last book, but Stevie Ray's new relationship is very cool, thats all i'll say Razz

Vampire Academy is really good, not all about lovey dovey stuff either, which is nice
Back to top Go down
Jeff the Ninja Fox

Jeff the Ninja Fox

Books i.e. Discuss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books i.e. Discuss   Books i.e. Discuss EmptyMon May 31, 2010 3:26 pm

I KNOW!!! i really love it ^_^

oooo is it... i'll look into it ^_^ i think i've already recommended Tythe and Ironside to you... it was faeries and stuff

ooo another good book is Demon's Lexicon
Back to top Go down
shadowbeam

shadowbeam

Books i.e. Discuss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books i.e. Discuss   Books i.e. Discuss EmptyMon May 31, 2010 3:28 pm

Yeah I adored those books! you recommended them at minicon to me hehe, they were reallllly good, shame there were only two.

What is Demons Lexicon about?
Back to top Go down
Jeff the Ninja Fox

Jeff the Ninja Fox

Books i.e. Discuss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books i.e. Discuss   Books i.e. Discuss EmptyMon May 31, 2010 3:30 pm

haha i know i read them in like two days flat!!!

Demon's Lexicon is like a urban fantasy and its quite dark aswell... its about these two brothers who are constantly on the run from demons who are hunting them because of there mum, cus she stole something and the big honcho wants it back... i won't go into too much detail as it would spoil plot developments... I could lend it too you if you want!!!
Back to top Go down
shadowbeam

shadowbeam

Books i.e. Discuss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books i.e. Discuss   Books i.e. Discuss EmptyMon May 31, 2010 3:32 pm

ooo tht sounds good, ill have to read the ones i got first, got another one called hush hush about a battle between immortals and angels....or something, i dunno, looked pretty good and it was 3 for 2 so....

P.C. Cast has another series of books out too that I wanna read at some point, you read them?
Back to top Go down
Jeff the Ninja Fox

Jeff the Ninja Fox

Books i.e. Discuss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books i.e. Discuss   Books i.e. Discuss EmptyMon May 31, 2010 3:35 pm

ooo no i haven't i'll definately look into it, i'm trying to find new reading material as i've read literally everything in my bookcase and my sisters bookcase

You'd probably like Devils Footsteps aswell that was really good, it was like a psychological book about this boy who's brother had been taken by the 'dark man' who is like the child snatcher and the adults just didn't notice anything strange about the amount of kids going missing and stuff
Back to top Go down
shadowbeam

shadowbeam

Books i.e. Discuss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books i.e. Discuss   Books i.e. Discuss EmptyMon May 31, 2010 3:37 pm

Sounds nice and creepy hehe

I daren't start anything till I've read the ones I've got hehe

I'm on the 7th book of Ancient Darkness atm, I don't want it to end Sad
Back to top Go down
Jeff the Ninja Fox

Jeff the Ninja Fox

Books i.e. Discuss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books i.e. Discuss   Books i.e. Discuss EmptyMon May 31, 2010 3:41 pm

awwww *tear* i'm like that on the last book of a series i really enjoy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Books i.e. Discuss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books i.e. Discuss   Books i.e. Discuss Empty

Back to top Go down

Books i.e. Discuss
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: