Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dark side of Lolita

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Nanao-chan

Nanao-chan

Dark side of Lolita Empty
PostSubject: Dark side of Lolita   Dark side of Lolita EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 11:25 pm

What do you guys make of this?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7222008.stm

I know its an old article but I do find it frustrating when I tell people about loli fashion the first thing they think about is Lolita the book. Im pretty sure that most people that freak out about this kinda thing has ever read the book but its annoying that everyone relates that one word back to this author. Im sure its a very good book and its on my to read list. What does everyone think about the term 'Lolita' with its negative connatations when we use it to describe our fashion sense?
Back to top Go down
Nanao-chan

Nanao-chan

PostSubject: Re: Dark side of Lolita   Dark side of Lolita EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 11:28 pm

oh this is what the book is about for those unfamilar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolita
Back to top Go down
Applecore
Admin
Applecore

PostSubject: Re: Dark side of Lolita   Dark side of Lolita EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 1:20 am

This topic comes up a lot in the lolita community and yes I agree it is incredibly frustrating. It's not so much a problem for me that people assume that the two are related when they first hear the name in regards to the fashion as they don't know any better, what really gets me is when people refuse to listen when you try to explain and they insist that fashion is the same is the book and that they know best. Compared to how most people dress today it's incredible modest and I can't understand how people can see it as a sexual thing

A lot of girls who wear lolita choose to describe it as a Japanese Street Fashion when people ask about it as it avoids the awkward explanations.
Back to top Go down
http://tdsprojects.blogspot.com
shadowbeam

shadowbeam

PostSubject: Re: Dark side of Lolita   Dark side of Lolita EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 8:48 am

Yeah when I first mentioned I quite liked Lolita so many people thought it meant I dressed in very little!

I tried to explain the same as Apple, that it's actually pretty demure (though i do very much like ero-loli!), but people have this image in mind...and won't change it!

ps. Very good book btw!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dark side of Lolita   Dark side of Lolita Empty

Back to top Go down

Dark side of Lolita
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Lolita :: General Lolita Chat-
Jump to: