Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Steampunk Fabrics

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Nanao-chan

Nanao-chan

Steampunk Fabrics Empty
PostSubject: Steampunk Fabrics   Steampunk Fabrics EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 8:33 am

One of the issues I have been having while tryin to design my steampunk outfit is the fabric.

As my character Florence is trying to look expensive and taylored, I dont think cotton will sew well or look expensive enough. I really dont like to work with satins as they are a pain to sew and can be really unflattering over lumps and bumps. I was eyeing up some metalic green fabric today but can remember what its called. its like a rough, stiff cotton but has a slight shine to it. It was £5-6mtr which could really add up making an outfit with a long skirt and matching jacket. it looked really nice but like it might get ichy and wasnt sure how it would wash.

Any suggestions on this? I cant really afford to spend a bomb on this when Im desparatly trying to save money.
Back to top Go down
shadowbeam

shadowbeam

Steampunk Fabrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Fabrics   Steampunk Fabrics EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 8:55 am

Is it the same fabric as the fabric in that first pattern i posted under steampunk patterns? If so I was wondering the same thing cause I was gonna use the same red they use in that pattern to make that outfit (have a look on the post, it's the pattern i told you about the other day).

I know what you mean in terms of steampunk fabric. I ended up getting black with white pinstripe for my skirt -- but mt character isn't as extravagant as yours lol
Back to top Go down
Akemi

Akemi

Steampunk Fabrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Fabrics   Steampunk Fabrics EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 9:06 am

I know Taffetta sews quite well, its what i made my first bustle out of which i posted a picture of if you wanted to see it.
Back to top Go down
Nanao-chan

Nanao-chan

Steampunk Fabrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Fabrics   Steampunk Fabrics EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 9:21 am

Taffetta!! Thats the one I was looking at. Is it ok next to skin or would you suggest lining it too? I wanna save monies where I can as im such a cheapskate lol.
Back to top Go down
shadowbeam

shadowbeam

Steampunk Fabrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Fabrics   Steampunk Fabrics EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 9:22 am

I'm the same, hate lining stuff! But i'm wondering the same
Back to top Go down
Jeff the Ninja Fox

Jeff the Ninja Fox

Steampunk Fabrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Fabrics   Steampunk Fabrics EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 10:09 am

Taffeta drapes fine without lining and feels fine against skin, i don't know if you remember the dress i wore at the Kita ball last year but that was made out of taffeta and i didn't line it!
Back to top Go down
Nanao-chan

Nanao-chan

Steampunk Fabrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Fabrics   Steampunk Fabrics EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 3:55 am

Yeah that was really pretty!.
I think if I make a fitted jacket to go with it, I may line it just because I dont want people to see all the frayed edges and threads as I take it off >.<.

So I was thinking matching skirt and fitted jacket with a kicked out back to make room for the bustle on the skirt. As I mentioned before theres some really pretty green metalic and a blue metalic taffeta that I may go with. Also what do you guys think- corset or shirt?
Back to top Go down
Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Steampunk Fabrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Fabrics   Steampunk Fabrics EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 11:16 am

Corset every time Very Happy . Seriously, though, I could point you in the direction of some beautiful steampunk corset if you wanted something custom (expensive though). Could even point you to one that OS specifically for rogues and scoundrels, containing pockets and touches for your lock pick and stolen jewels. Metallic tafeta sounds good too, though I might try making it reversible with a black or dark colour lining for when you have to do 'quiet work'
Back to top Go down
http://spiritwalker1985.deviantart.com/
shadowbeam

shadowbeam

Steampunk Fabrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Fabrics   Steampunk Fabrics EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 3:37 pm

When you say kicked out back is that like what i have on my posh black jacket i wore for steampunk day? If so that would look cool! In terms of corset guess you have to think what your character would wear? I think a full corset with detail would be very Florence.

I'm thinking you're looking at something affordable I think something like this:
http://www.corsets-uk.com/fashion/boned-corset/pink-gold-corset-a3062.html

But obviously in a colour to match what you go for so when you take your jacket off it would still go with the skirt? I would imagine her to be very extravagant, I think shirt might be too run of the mill for her character? But then, you know her better!!
Back to top Go down
Nanao-chan

Nanao-chan

Steampunk Fabrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Fabrics   Steampunk Fabrics EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 9:58 am

Im now leaning towards a corset. I had a look at prices around town and its £6-8 per metre for taffeta fabric that I wanted. Im now thinking of mostly black cotton with bright flashes of colour. So long black skirt and a fitted shrug instead of a jacket. To make the shrug interesting I was goin to give it over exaggerated turned up sleeves so you can see the lush coloured lining. This way I can cover my arms and show a bit of cleavage as I think Florence would show a little to entrap her targets lol. I may even do something fancy with a bustle and ribbons, giving it a more ‘punk’ edge.
Back to top Go down
shadowbeam

shadowbeam

Steampunk Fabrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Fabrics   Steampunk Fabrics EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 11:18 am

After chatting with you about this today I think it will all look great!
Can't wait to see how it goes Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Steampunk Fabrics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Fabrics   Steampunk Fabrics Empty

Back to top Go down

Steampunk Fabrics
Page 1 of 1