Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Obligatory Music Thread

Go down 
+3
Jeff the Ninja Fox
Applecore
Jesterface
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Jesterface

Jesterface

Obligatory Music Thread Empty
PostSubject: Obligatory Music Thread   Obligatory Music Thread EmptyMon May 24, 2010 3:21 am

We have video games, we have books, but we don't have music (or film) up for discussion.

For shame. (I kid)

I don't know about the rest of ye, but to me, music is an important part of my day to day life. I'm not one of these people who downloads a ton of tracks, or thinks that having more music on my hard drive makes me cooler. But I do love music. I always buy CDs (unless it's the odd track here and there) and will spends hours just chilling on the computer with my music going.

Do others amongst you do this? And what do you guys like listening to? Could you say why you like it? I realise this is a potential dangerous path to tread, music being highly subjective and that, but I'm not inviting flaming others for their choices, I just think that what music someone listens to can give you a broader idea of them as a person, without entering the quagmire of social stereotypes.
Back to top Go down
Applecore
Admin
Applecore

PostSubject: Re: Obligatory Music Thread   Obligatory Music Thread EmptyMon May 24, 2010 3:42 am

Yesss~~ Same here, I was actually going to start a music thread but I get lazy sometimes XD

Music is a massive part of my day. I listen to a lot at work, I would go nuts without it! And I listen to a lot at home too :3 I use spotify a lot, it's great for checking out things I haven't heard of before and don't nesessarily want to rush out and buy and means I can mostly listen to what I want when I think of it. And it's legit so musicians are also earning money from it. Then when there's a band or artist I really like I will buy their albums or go to gigs or buy official merchandise so I'm contributing!

As for my taste in music it's pretty wide ranging! I will give anything a listen, I love recommendations from friends, have found so many of my favourite things this way. Rather than trying to explain check out my last.fm profile. It keeps track of everything I listen to so a good indication of my tastes, I love this site, it's so interesting to see my trends from week to week Very Happy

Does anyone else use Spotify or last.fm? How about you Jesterface, what kind of stuff do you listen to?
Back to top Go down
http://tdsprojects.blogspot.com
Jesterface

Jesterface

PostSubject: Re: Obligatory Music Thread   Obligatory Music Thread EmptyMon May 24, 2010 3:57 am

The majority of my playlist is rock and metal, but I listen to a lot of things really. I was brought up on classic rock, folk and small amounts of soul and motown (latter two are my mum's).

I'd say my big love is folk-metal (or neo-folk as I've seen it called here and there), ranging from the guttural Swedish snarls of Finntroll, through the blasting epics of Turisas and Ensiferum to the shamanic/alcoholic melodies of Korpiklaani. I've never seen a genre that can get so much variation, other than actual folk itself. I'm also a huge fan of a band called Breed 77, who're from Gibraltar (but based in London now) who have mixed flamenco guitars and rhythms with metal and made themselves a unique sound, helped by the singer's distinct voice. Two of my other big metal loves are System of a Down (of course), just because nobody else has managed to get anything sounding remotely like them, and In Flames, a swedish band who helped start the 'Gothenburg sound' in Swedish metal. And of course, the recently late and much lamented Ronnie James Dio, a genius and icon of the genre.

Moving away from the mosh pit, I listen to Seth Lakeman, a sort of new-wave folk artist, who I've been pleased to hear getting played in pubs and bars around Lincoln (a small victory for proper music), and sometimes listen to some Show of Hands (veteran folkies) and Seasick Steve (the hobo bluegrass guy). Also a huge fan of Dr. Steel, the psychotic toymaking scientist, performing what has been dubbed as 'industrial hip-hop opera'. Like the odd bit of cheesey pop here and there, and can stomach some rap acts (ones who're bringing a bit of respectability back to the genre). I also listen to Peter Gabriel and Vanessa Carlton from time to time.

This is barely scratching the surface, mostly on the metal aspect, I'd be here for hours writing about that stuff Razz
Back to top Go down
Jeff the Ninja Fox

Jeff the Ninja Fox

PostSubject: Re: Obligatory Music Thread   Obligatory Music Thread EmptyMon May 24, 2010 9:42 am

music is really important to me as a study it and am in a band ^^

I love tonnes of music anything from BB King or Mississipi John Hurt to things like HITT and The Gazette
Blues, Rock, Musicals i'll listen to anything really...

My favourite music at the moment is the Dresden Dolls as they are really different which is a nice change!
Back to top Go down
Vincent

Vincent

PostSubject: Re: Obligatory Music Thread   Obligatory Music Thread EmptyMon May 24, 2010 9:47 am

Music is a huge part of my life. I'd be lost without something to listen to, hehe. Metal is definitely my favourite genre, but I listen to a little bit of everything. I'm in a band called Star Tiger, where I play guitar and, um... "sing". We play kind of weird, progressive metal.

I'm a huge fan of Isis (despite their recent split :'(), if anyone has heard of them...... *cricket noises*.... Their music is just the most powerful stuff I've ever heard. They really know how to build a song really slowly until it reaches epic proportions.

I'm also into other metal bands like Mastodon, Slayer, Neurosis, Rammstein and Opeth, and anyone who does something interesting with their music.

But then you can't listen to scary music all the time, so I also like a bit of Tom Waits, Jonathan Coulton, City & Colour and Jeff Buckley. It's hard to say why I like all the various styles of music, since it all depends what sort of mood I'm in.
Back to top Go down
shadowbeam

shadowbeam

PostSubject: Re: Obligatory Music Thread   Obligatory Music Thread EmptyMon May 24, 2010 10:04 am

Wow Vincent! I din't know you were in a band ^^ you have to send me some stuff to listen to!!

Rammstein are awesome so I can agree there ^^

Dresden Dolls are pretty epic 'coin operated boy' is an awesome song! I love her voice Smile

For myself, I mostly like chillout music, Sigur Ros, Enya and the like, and classical ofc. Also like musicals and, ofc, 90's cheesy pop!!
I do like rock and heavy metal etc, but only really id it does have a tune, not just mindless screaming....

Generally, i like alot of music, but mostly music that kinda makes you feel somthing from listening to it.

Not gonna reel off all the bands i like lol, but thats a general idea. Im not a HUGE music fan, it doesn't rule my life, I feel that way more about books to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Vincent

Vincent

PostSubject: Re: Obligatory Music Thread   Obligatory Music Thread EmptyMon May 24, 2010 1:14 pm

shadowbeam wrote:
Wow Vincent! I din't know you were in a band ^^ you have to send me some stuff to listen to!!

Rammstein are awesome so I can agree there ^^
Hehe, can't believe I've never mentioned it. And, um... I would send you some stuff, if we had any. We still need to get around to recording, lol.

And yay Rammstein!
Back to top Go down
shadowbeam

shadowbeam

PostSubject: Re: Obligatory Music Thread   Obligatory Music Thread EmptyMon May 24, 2010 2:26 pm

Gahhhh, well at least you guys could play when we all come down Razz That would be awesome!
Back to top Go down
Vincent

Vincent

PostSubject: Re: Obligatory Music Thread   Obligatory Music Thread EmptyTue May 25, 2010 11:44 am

Hehe, sure, if we can find a place to play, then we'll play.
Back to top Go down
atashi_chan

atashi_chan

PostSubject: Re: Obligatory Music Thread   Obligatory Music Thread EmptyTue May 25, 2010 12:34 pm

I know I'm biased - but they are good! ^^
Back to top Go down
Quicksilver

Quicksilver

PostSubject: Re: Obligatory Music Thread   Obligatory Music Thread EmptyTue May 25, 2010 12:41 pm

currently working my way through the discographies of Iron Maiden, Kiss, the Dropkick Murpheys, and a weird but cool band i came across randomly called Elvenking - really cheesey, intersperced with some preatty good work
Back to top Go down
http://spiritwalker1985.deviantart.com/
atashi_chan

atashi_chan

PostSubject: Re: Obligatory Music Thread   Obligatory Music Thread EmptyTue May 25, 2010 12:44 pm

I'm all about Manowar right now! My Dad has the most awesome music taste - he has seen all the greats and booked us the tickets to go and see Rammstein earlier this year.

Iron Maiden were so awesome back in the day so I'm sad to say I was pretty disappointed with their latest stuff.

And also - it feels only right to say - RIP Dio :'(
Back to top Go down
Quicksilver

Quicksilver

PostSubject: Re: Obligatory Music Thread   Obligatory Music Thread EmptyTue May 25, 2010 1:07 pm

seconded - was gutted when he cancelled his last tour, but i'm glad he went peacefully in the end
Back to top Go down
http://spiritwalker1985.deviantart.com/
atashi_chan

atashi_chan

PostSubject: Re: Obligatory Music Thread   Obligatory Music Thread EmptyTue May 25, 2010 1:11 pm

Yeah I am too - he had such a good run though. An absolute legend ^^
Back to top Go down
Jesterface

Jesterface

PostSubject: Re: Obligatory Music Thread   Obligatory Music Thread EmptyWed May 26, 2010 11:37 am

Agreed, and it was his last two tours he cancelled (the Dio one and a Heaven and Hell one).

Just hope those idiot baptist church wankstains don't ruin the memorial service.
Back to top Go down
Jesterface

Jesterface

PostSubject: Re: Obligatory Music Thread   Obligatory Music Thread EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 7:38 am

Lordi.

Heavy metal cosplay, or cosplay heavy metal?

Discuss.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Obligatory Music Thread   Obligatory Music Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Obligatory Music Thread
Page 1 of 1