Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Steampunk Newbie

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Akemi

Akemi

Steampunk Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Steampunk Newbie   Steampunk Newbie EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 12:54 pm

Ok so being new to all this i got a pattern to make a victorian outfit, its a little experienced for me, so im planning on taking my time with it.
but before i spend a fortune on the fabric id like suggestions.
Is it appropriate? colours? accessories etc
Thankyou guys
The pattern
Back to top Go down
Jesterface

Jesterface

Steampunk Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Newbie   Steampunk Newbie EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 12:57 pm

Definitely not pink!

Browns maybe, some nice cream-tones. Possibly greens (bottle green maybe) or rich reds/maroons.

Maybe have some brocade too.
Back to top Go down
shadowbeam

shadowbeam

Steampunk Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Newbie   Steampunk Newbie EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 1:03 pm

lol tbh, what Jester said really ^^ those are the really traditional steampunk colours, but you can always go outside the box a bit with the colours if you like.
I use alot of black and white in my steampunk outfits as well, makes them look very victorian too.
Ofc, if you meet hardcore steampunkers they might be very picky -.- which is always annoying
Back to top Go down
Jesterface

Jesterface

Steampunk Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Newbie   Steampunk Newbie EmptyTue Oct 19, 2010 5:01 pm

Picky steampunkers are the ones corroding the hobby.

I'm going to undermine all their crap with my pre-victorian steampunk. (Look up Warmachine/Iron Kingdoms) and you'll see what I'm thinking.
Back to top Go down
Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Steampunk Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Newbie   Steampunk Newbie EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 1:09 am

don't forget - people think that victorians were all black, white and grey - they weren't. at this time, with the empire expanding into india and africa, bright colours were the rage with the nobility, and bright oranges, purples, and green, imported from across the empire were a great sign of status. a dress like that, probably the young daughter of a rich business man, would have been practically a very expensive gift wrap - the brighter and more attractive the better.

While i personally don't really care for the pink - would make you look like a marshmellow - theres no reason why it shouldn't be that color
Back to top Go down
http://spiritwalker1985.deviantart.com/
Akemi

Akemi

Steampunk Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Newbie   Steampunk Newbie EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 7:42 am

lol thanks for the input people.
I wasnt planning on using Pink at all, its simply what the pattern producers have used.
I was thinking a deep Burgandy or the Taffeta green i used on my bustle.
Something like that anyway.
Thankyou xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Steampunk Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steampunk Newbie   Steampunk Newbie Empty

Back to top Go down

Steampunk Newbie
Page 1 of 1